Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grrrls? Really?

Okay, I admit it. I am having second, third and fourth thoughts about that because it's reading a little lame. Possibly lame in a "yeah, grrrls is so lame, but once you get past that, she's really funny and has interesting things to say" way or possibly in a "the nineties? really?" way. I digress.

So for all you young folk out there, Riot Grrrl is probably just a term that you've heard about in your women's studies class or the interwebs. But when I was a wee thing back in high school, hating my life and working furiously on my 'zine (The Sphincter, if you must know) and reading Sassy, I stumbled across the Riot Grrrl Manifesto, and it opened my eyes.

It's twenty years later, and I still believe:

BECAUSE we are unwilling to let our real and valid anger be diffused and/or turned against us via the internalization of sexism as witnessed in girl/girl jealousism and self defeating girltype behaviors.

BECAUSE I believe with my wholeheartmindbody that girls constitute a revolutionary soul force that can, and will change the world for real.


Maybe that's why I started this blog -- because I'm still angry and I still want to be loud about it, and I really, truly believe that we can change things. What things? I don't know. All the things!

No comments:

Post a Comment